POSTDOC IN GRAPHENE BIOCONJUGATE CHEMISTRY
Descripción de la oferta de empleo
Research area or group: Nanomedicine Group
Description of Group/Project:
The main lines of research include:
- Clinical translation of bioelectronic and microfluidic devices
- Nanomaterials as vector systems for therapeutic and diagnostic applications
- Development of graphene and 2D materials in medicine
- Discovery of novel biomarkers and therapeutic targets in oncology and neurology
The group brings to the Institute a strong expertise in research and development of novel types and applications of established nanoparticle systems, particularly liposomes. Moreover, rich experience in the medical translation of carbon nanomaterials, at varying shapes and dimensions, such as fullerenes, carbon nanotubes, nanohorns and graphene. A wide range of nanomaterials developed as platforms for the biological transport of therapeutic and diagnostic components in cell culture and preclinical disease models. The primary therapeutic targets for clinical translation of these technologies have been cancer (solid and metastatic) and brain pathologies (Parkinson's, stroke, Alzheimers, glioblastoma).
Nanomedicine@ICN2 has strong links with the Nanomedicine Lab at the Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health at the University of Manchester, with Prof. Kostas Kostarelos leading both teams in a joint effort to develop medicines at the nanoscale. Graphene and 2D materials will have a central role in a number of research lines carried out in the context of the Graphene Flagship Biomedical Technologies Work Package.
Main Tasks and responsibilities:
The Research Associate in Graphene Bioconjugate Chemistry will contribute to the scientific programme and management of the Graphene Flagship project. The work will involve surface modification of different types of graphene and related 2D materials, some of which will need to undergo chemical modification to be biochemically studied (on interaction with different biological entities and cells). The Research Associate should be able to perform such experimental work alone or in collaboration with partner laboratories to improve their biocompatibility and offer added functionality to the 2D materials. Expert use of a chemical synthesis laboratory and a wide range of physicochemical and materials characterisation techniques (Raman, AFM, SEM, TGA, laser light scattering, spectrophotometry, electron microscopy, ICP-MS, XPS) will be essential to determine the mechanisms and impact of interaction between graphene and cellular models and tissues.
- Through interaction with the PI and other members of the Nanomedicine Group to contribute proactively to the development, progression and execution of the project
- Synthesis, functionalization, and characterisation of various graphene-based materials (graphene oxide, exfoliated graphene, other 2D material)
- Covalent and non-covalent graphene complexation with biologically active molecules (proteins, peptides,
- Use of chemical synthesis tools and protocols to surface-modify 2D materials
- Use a range of physicochemical and materials characterisation techniques (Raman, AFM, SEM, TGA, laser light scattering, spectrophotometry, electron microscopy, ICP-MS, XPS)
- Execution of experiments using different core facilities at the Campus UAB and collaborating institutions
- Training and supervision of students and researchers in physicochemical and materials characterisation tools and protocols established and core facilities used
- Contribution to the scientific management of the collaborative project (authoring periodic reports, presentations in biannual meetings) that will require overseas travel
- Participate in shared responsibilities that contribute to the management and running of the laboratory
Requisitos del puesto
- PhD in chemistry, chemical engineering or materials science or equivalent
- Demonstrable previous experience in the chemical synthesis and modification of carbon nanomaterials and grapheme
- Extensive expert use of an array of physicochemical and materials characterisation tools (Raman, AFM, SEM, TGA, laser light scattering, spectrophotometry, electron microscopy, ICP-MS, XPS)
- Excellent research and methodological skills relevant to the research theme (surface modification or chemical functionalisation of carbon nanomaterials)
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills, including the ability to deliver timely and high quality outputs
- Ability to demonstrate scientific writing and communication skills
- Ability to be creative in research ideas to develop/progress the research area
- Ability to plan, organise, and undertake work without detailed supervision
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with all levels of staff, students and external contacts
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a high degree of accuracy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to work independently, use own initiative, where appropriate, and be proactive in approach to work
- Ability and enthusiasm to learn new skills outside own discipline
- Experience in experimental research using of electron microscopy techniques (TEM, cryo-EM, tomography)
- Experience and direct involvement in projects funded by the European Commission (under H2020, FP7, or earlier Framework programmes) o Previous hands-on research experience in handling and studying the biological investigation of carbon nanomaterials, in particular graphene, with biological matter (proteins, cells, tissues)
- Experience in culturing and genetic modification of mammalian cells.
- Experience with extraction and culture of primary cells and their culturing protocols
- Previous experience of applying for research funding
- Experience of supervising student research projects
- Evidence of a developing track record in publishing and dissemination of high quality publications in peer-reviewed journals
Otros datos del puesto
Summary of conditions:
· Full time work (37,5h/week)
· Contract Length: 1 year, renewable up to 2 years
· Salary will depend on qualifications and demonstrated experience.
· Support to the relocation issues.
· Life Insurance.
Estimated Incorporation date: as soon as possible
How to apply:
All applications must be made via the ICN2 website
and include the following:
1. A cover letter.
2. A full CV including contact details.
3. 2 Reference letters or referee contacts.
ICN2 is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion of people with disabilities.
Detalles de la oferta
- temporal, jornada completa
Main tasks and responsibilities: the research associate in graphene biopolymer chemistry will contribute to the scientific programme and management of the graphene flagship project...graphene and 2d materials will have a central role in a number of research lines carried out in the context of the graphene......
Reference letters or referee contacts...the project aims to develop a new concept of transfection vehicles as a safer way to transport mrna to the cytosol via endocytosis...the final aim is to obtain functional expression of durable car19 construct by np-mrna complexes to result in viral-free, transient......
A full cv including contact details...excellent level ofenglish (fluent in writing and speaking) is required...research area or group: nanobiosensors and bioanalytical applications group description of group/project: nanob2a group focuses on the development of novel nanobiosensor devices based on plasmonics......
Research area or group: novel energy-oriented materials group description of group/project:autograph: a collaborative project between eurecat, irec and icn2 under the umbrella of ris3cat emergent technology in graphene...main tasks and responsibilities: the person working in the neo-energy research group......
Requisitos del puesto· education:phd degree in chemistry or materials science...main tasks and responsibilities: - design, synthesize, characterize and study new multifunctional mof-based adsorbents...a full cv including contact details...the group is looking for a postdoctoral researcher to participate......
Reference letters or referee contacts...among the objectives of the position(s) within max-coe we include: modularising max codes to foster maintainability, to consolidate similar functionality within a single code and across different max codes and to enable the use of performance tuned and architecture......
· financial and legal follow-up of the project, including financial control (eligibility and availability) of expenses (personnel, consumables, equipment and other direct costs) charged to the project and any required amendment or administrative follow-up of the project (changes in the duration, changes......
· expertise in the handling of modern software engineering tools: version control and development platforms, build and deployment systems, documentation methods...)· follow best practices for continuous improvement of the development tools and workflow...· interface to the international initiatives in......